What better than going on a two-day vacation to a nearby hill station or city to soothe ourselves and streamline our sporadic train of thoughts? There is so much to explore in the neighborhood of Mumbai that you can pragmatically visit a new place every weekend in a year. Mumbai or to be specific Mumbaikars are quite blessed in that sense. Now to choose the best place out of so many options is quite bewildering and taxing, we will come to your rescue on this front through this blog post on places to visit near Mumbai on the weekend.
List Of Top Places To Visit Near Mumbai For 2 Days
A hill station or rather a heaven as it is called is situated in the Satara district of Maharashtra. Mahabaleshwar is renowned for its lush green land flanked by valleys on both sides. It is not only a tourist spot, but it is also preferred by honeymoon couples and as a pilgrimage site revered by tons of devotees every year.
Mahabaleshwar is famous from ages, it used to be the summer capital for the Bombay Province under the British regime. From charming weather to serene places, from beautiful lakes to picturesque valleys, Mahabaleshwar has it all. In short, Mahabaleshwar is a perfect weekend getaway in places to visit near Mumbai for two days.
Suggeted Read : 20 Spectacular Places to visit in December in India
Did you know?
The strawberries for which Mahabaleshwar is famous today, its origin dates back to 1800 when Mahabaleshwar served as a jail for Malaysian and Chinese criminals who initiated the plantation
- Distance from Mumbai: 264 km
- Places to visit: Wilson Point (For Sunrise), Mapro Garden, Mahabaleshwar Temple, Venna Lake, Pratapgarh, Strawberry Gardens, Arthur Seat, Elphinstone Point, Lingmala Waterfalls
- Activities: Trekking, Horse Riding, Shopping, Boating, Water Sports, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing
- Best time to visit: October to June is the best period to visit Mahabaleshwar, after June it usually pours heavily in these months
- Where to stay: Hilltop House, Grand Resort, CP Cottage, and Zostels
- Ideal Duration: 2 Days are ideal for exploring this heavenly hill station
- How to reach: By road, there are several state-run direct buses from Mumbai to reach here, else a car journey is the best way to reach here. By rail, the nearest railway station is Wathar, which is 60 km from Mahabaleshwar.
Recommendation: Visit here in winter months when it is less crowded and carry your woollen clothes in those months
For hipster wine connoisseurs, Nashik is tantamount to a research lab for a scientist. Nashik has myriad vineyards giving you several options to taste and satiate your unquenching thirst. Also, for historians or people fond of architectures, there are many caves and historical monuments in Nashik.
Also, you should visit Shirdi, which is 88 km from Nasik and a perfect destination for religious and spiritual souls. It is famous for the iconic temple of Sai Baba, and many other places as well to explore. This fantastic couple of cities in proximity is one of the best places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days with family.
Did you know?
In February, there is a Sula Wine Fest that happens in Nashik, making it the best time to visit here
- Must Try: Missal Pav, Sula Wine, Shirdi Street Food
- Distance from Mumbai: 166 km (Mumbai to Nasik) and 88 km (Nasik to Shirdi)
- Places to visit: Sula Vineyard, Pandavleni Caves, York Winery, Trimbakeshwar Temple, Sai Baba Temple Shirdi,
- Activities: Wine tasting in Sula Vineyard, Visit Temples, Sightseeing,
- Best time to visit: November to March is the best time to visit Shirdi, owing to the pleasant weather in these months. If you want less crowd, then visit here in summers
- Where to stay: Daiwik Hotels Shirdi, Temple View Hotel, Lords Inn, Hotel Grand Rio, Hotel Express Inn, The Gateway Hotel
- Ideal Duration: 2-3 Days are ideal for exploring this surreal duo cities
- How to reach: By air, there are many flights from Mumbai. By road, there is good connectivity with many direct buses and local cabs. Likewise, 61 direct trains between Mumbai and Nashik.
Suggested Read : 20 Best Places to Visit in October in India
Most favoured destination by Mumbaikars to spend a weekend and also for many Bollywood directors to shot a movie scene. A road trip to Lonavala is something you will never forget, such is the journey. It has much more to offer apart from its scenic charms like local markets, outdoor and adventure sports and what not.
You can camp here with your family, friends or colleagues in weatherproof camps. Lonavala has dense forests, gushing waterfalls, eye appealing lakes and charming weather to give you the best feeling. In a nutshell, one of the most favoured places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days for couples.
Did you know?
Lonavala was discovered 209 years ago in 1811 AD by the then Governor Sir Elphinstone, and he happened to be a nature lover
- Must Try: Lonavala’s famous Chikki, Walnut Fudge, Sweetmeat
- Distance from Mumbai: 86 km
- Places to visit: Tiger Leap, Bushi Dam, Korigad Fort, Lonavala Lake, Duke’s Nose, Della Adventure, Rajmachi Fort, Ryewood Park
- Activities: Trekking, Camping, Hot Air Balloon Ride, Hiking, Rappelling
- Best time to visit: You can visit here anytime between October and May but the best time is in Monsoon season that too the best moment is after the first monsoon rain
- Where to stay: Meher Villa, Radisson Blu Resort, Misty Meadows, Picaddle Resort
- Ideal Duration: 2 days are ideal to experience this nature’s wonder
- How to reach: Many direct state and private buses are available, cabs are another option if you are going by road. Frequency of trains is also good with 20+ direct trains to reach Lonavala from Mumbai.
Recommendation: Do not miss the waterfall rappelling, an adventure sports which allows you to soar over clouds
The second largest city of Maharashtra, after of course Mumbai is home to the highest number of engineering institutes and other colleges, thus it got a sobriquet of Oxford of the East. Getting here from Mumbai is itself a fun ride via a road trip in your car with full music at higher decibels with your friends.
On the way, you will see many long tunnels, pleasing scenic views of the Western Ghats that never fails to astonish travelers by its sensational flamboyance. Pune has lots and lots to offer to a visitor making it an ideal place to visit near Mumbai for 2 days with friends.
Did you know?
Pune is often termed as Pensioner’s Paradise owing to its beautiful weather as many of the officers and defence personnel chose to retire here
- Must Try: Bhelpuri from Kalyan Bhel, Puneri Misal from Bedkar Tea Stall
- Distance from Mumbai: 148 km
- Places to visit: Aga Khan Palace, Sinhagad Fort, Vetal Tekdi, Parvati Hill, Osho Ashram, Mulshi Lake and Dam, Hard Rock Café, Swig Bar & Eatery
- Activities: Trekking around the Bhimashankar wildlife sanctuary, Visit Forts and Museums, Sightseeing, Rafting, Shopping, Nightlife
- Best time to visit: Throughout the year as the climate is pretty conducive, summers are somewhat hot with maximum temperature being 42
- Where to stay: Living Waters, Hotel Aurora Towers, Royal Orchid Golden Suites, VNV Bungalow
- Ideal Duration: 2-3 days are ideal to experience this city of students
- How to reach: By road, several direct buses and taxis run on the Mumbai-Pune route, By rail, frequent and direct trains from Mumbai are there like Pragati Express.
Recommended Read : 20 Amazing Places to Visit in September in India
Recommendation: Do plan a trek if you are visiting Pune, there are many treks in the likes of Lohagarh and Rajmachi Fort
This is your place if you want to breathe unadulterated fresh air in an environment which gives your tranquillity. Matheran is one of the oldest and smallest yet most amazing hill stations of India. Matheran, which means “forest on the head” is the smallest but the most famous and most beautiful hill station in India.
A great weekend getaway for adventurers and trekkers as well. It is claimed to be Asia’s only automobile-free hill station. Matheran must be in your list of places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days in monsoon. Come here and enjoy the tranquillity of the place away from bustling city life.
- Distance from Mumbai: 83 km.
- Places to visit: One Tree Hill Point, Echo Point, Charlotte Lake, Louisa Point, Toy Train, Panorama Point, One Tree Hill, Malang Point
- Activities: Rock Climbing, Valley Crossing, Trekking, Horse Riding, Toy Train Ride
- Best Time to Visit: Between October and June is the peak time. Albeit, you can visit throughout the year
- Where to stay: Westend Hotel, The Byke Heritage, Lords Central Hotel, Janavi Resort, Sunrise Guest House
- Ideal Duration: 1-2 days are adequate to experience this nature’s cleanest paradise
- How to Reach: Direct buses from Mumbai to Matheran. If you are planning by train, then the nearest junction is Neral, from Neral you can easily get a toy train or a taxi. The nearest airport is in Mumbai which is 100 km from Matheran, from the airport you can get a taxi to Matheran.
Also Read : Top 19 Things To Do In Jaisalmer In 2020
Tip: There are no vehicles allowed here. You either have to walk or take horses or rickshaws.
Imagine you are flying like a free eagle in the proximity of mountains and greenery in the most pleasant weather possible. Kamshet gives you this opportunity through its famous paragliding. You will get to see here mud houses, small beautiful villages, thatched rooftops, hill fortresses, cave temples, paddy and sunflower fields, and many such blissful attractions. To sum Kamshet in one phrase, an ideal weekend destination in one of the best places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days.
- Distance from Mumbai: 106 km.
- Places to visit: Karla Caves, Kondeshwar Temple, Vadivali Lake, Uksan Dam, Raikar Farm, Bhandar Dongar, Bhairi Caves
- Activities: Paragliding, Boating, Swimming, Rock Climbing, Fishing, Trekking
- Best Time to Visit: Between October and May is the peak season. You can visit throughout the year, avoid the rainy season
- Where to stay: Saffron Stays, Orritel Convention Spa & Resort, Fazlani Nature’s Nest, Ashwin’s, White House, Oyo Nature Shield
- Ideal Duration: 1-2 days are enough to experience this nature’s wonderland
- How to Reach: There are frequent and direct buses and taxis from Mumbai to reach Kamshet. By rail, catch a train from Mumbai to Pune, and then a bus or cab from Pune to Kamshet, which is another 40 km from Pune.
Recommendation: If you are here, then do try paragliding from the Kondeshwar cliff, one of the best experiences you can ever have.
Alibaug is just a stone’s throw away from the financial capital of India. Known for its Beaches and beachside charms, then there are many historically significant forts and alluring temples. So, it is a perfect blend of some exotic beaches coupled with traces of ancient history remains in several fortresses. It is an ideal weekend getaway for someone who has some proclivity towards outdoor sports or someone who finds beaches as quintessential on a holiday destination.
Did you know?
Korlai Fort in Alibaug dates back to 1521 was built by Portuguese. Here, the main gate has an inscription which translates to “No entry without a fight”
- Distance from Mumbai: 96 km.
- Places to visit: Varsoli Beach, Vikram Vinayak Temple, Alibaug Fort, Kihim Beach, Kankneshwar Temple, Akshi Beach, Korlai Fort, Underi, Murud Janjira, Nagaon Beach
- Activities: Beach Walking, Watching Sunset, Bird Watching in Phansad Sanctuary, Water Sports
- Best Time to Visit: October to March is the best time to visit Alibaug as the weather gets cool, which makes sightseeing even more enjoyable. Summers are burning
- Where to stay: Dewdrop Retreat, Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Acons Palm Beach, Mountain View Cottage, Lotus Lake View Resort
- Ideal Duration: 2 days are appropriate to explore this land of white sand beaches
- How to Reach: By road, many direct buses and taxis are there from Mumbai. There are however no direct train to Alibaug from Mumbai. The quickest way to reach Alibaug is through a ferry from Gateway of India.
Recommendation: Take the ferry service from Gateway of India, Mumbai to reach Alibaug. It is one of the best experiences with some spectacular views of mountains and sea
Panchgani can leave you spellbound by the sheer views of the valleys with hills on one end and coastal plains on the other end. One activity you ought to do in Panchgani is paragliding which will enhance your experience there and will surely justify your selection of Panchgani as a place to visit near Mumbai for 2 days. Like British people, tourists here also while leaving this hill station almost falls for its flamboyance and romantic weather and desires to be here again. All this makes Panchgani a must inclusion in the places to visit near Mumbai in monsoon.
Did you know?
Table Land in Panchgani is the second tallest volcanic plateau in Asia
- Distance from Mumbai: 243 km
- Places to visit: Table Land, Devil Kitchen Caves, Kate’s Point, River Krishna, Kaas Plateau, Sydney Point, Mapro Garden, Dhom Dam
- Activities: Paragliding, Photography, Sightseeing, Trekking
- Best Time to Visit: Ideal season is in winters and during the arrival of summers. September to May is when you can plan your stay here
- Where to stay: Zostel Panchgani, Dala Rooster, Panchgani Cottages, Mount View Heritage Hotel, Hotel Valley Exotica
- Ideal Duration: 2 days are appropriate to enjoy this charming land
- How to Reach: The best is you visit Panchgani from Mahabaleshwar as these are just 19 km apart. If you are coming from Mumbai by road then there are many direct buses to Panchgani, but there are no direct trains to reach here.
Also See: 20 Best Places For 2 Days Trip in India
Recommendation: Do try out the Bhajiyas with hot tea near Lingmala waterfalls in Panchgani.
Lavasa is India’s first planned hill city, on the similar lines of Switzerland’s first hill city. On Day 1 of your sojourn here, do pay a visit to Varasgaon Waterfall for a stunning view of the beautiful mountains and water falling from great heights is a visual your retina can’t afford to miss. Lavasa is also a must visit place for adventure buffs and lake lovers.
The place is picturesque, you will get some of the best pictures for your social media. The weather above everything is cherry on the cake. Temghar dam in here receives a lot of admiration for its splendour. So, sit back and relax in the lap of nature. In short, a perfect destination under places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days with friends.
Did you know: Lavasa is the country’s first planned Hill City, in line with Switzerland’s first planned Hill City
- Distance from Mumbai: 202 km
- Places to visit: Varasgaon Dam and Waterfall, XThrill Adventure Academy, Karvi Spa, Ghangad Fort, Panshet Dam, Temghar Dam, Tikona Fort, Devkund Waterfall
- Activities: Boating, Jet Ski Ride, Bumper Boat, Lakeshore Water Sports, Climbing, Adventure Sports, Trekking, Sightseeing
- Best Time to Visit: October to August is the best time to visit Lavasa. You can visit Lavasa throughout the year anyway
- Where to stay: The Waterfront Shaw, Ekaant The Retreat, Exotic Studio- On The Lake, Hotel Celebration Lavasa
- Ideal Duration: 2 days are appropriate to enjoy this beautiful hill city near Pune
- How to Reach: By road, there are several direct buses to reach Lavasa via Sion-Panvel expressway, else you can do a road trip in your car which is more happening. By rail, there are no trains to Lavasa from Mumbai, the nearest railway station is Lonavala, 29 km from Lavasa.
Khandala has sparkling lakes, attractive caves, serene sunset points, and rock climbing spots, famous parks like Ryewood and falls like Kune Falls. There are local markets for shopping, restaurants for dining. In a nutshell, Khandala is equipped with many such amazing places to explore and chill on a weekend.
Be it an ideal road trip, a solo one day trip or an escape into the hills for that matter in nature’s lap, Khandala caters to all moods and fancies of the Mumbaikars, and thus a preferred vacation spot for people of Mumbai. You also ought to include Khandala in your places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days after reading this.
Did you know: This is the same place which was mentioned in the famous song “Aati Kya Khandala” of the movie Ghulam starring Amir Khan and Rani Mukherjee
- Distance from Mumbai: 84 km
- Places to visit: Karla and Bhaja Caves, Ryewood Park, Tiger’s Leap, Duke’s Nose, Rajmachi Fort, Visapur Fort, Lohagad Fort,
- Activities: Safari, Visiting Karla Caves, Shopping, Rock Climbing at Duke’s Nose, Temple Hopping, Trek to Shooting Point
- Best Time to Visit: Khandala can be visited throughout the year. Monsoon season is preferred by tourists in between early July to late September
- Where to stay: Crystal County Resort, Resort Silver Hills, Imperial Grande, City Palace Resort, Maharaja Guest House
- Ideal Duration: 1-2 days are appropriate to enjoy this beautiful hill city near Pune
- How to Reach: There are many regular direct buses from Mumbai to reach here. You can as well hire a taxi or a road trip in your car, which is the best experience. By rail, several direct trains between Mumbai and Khandala.
Tip: You can visit Lonavala and Khandala together as they are merely 4-5 km apart from each other
These were some of our best picks in this edition of Places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days. We hope you got some insights about these places near Mumbai to target for your next weekend.
Do let us know in the comment section below about your experience of the weekend destination you chose near Mumbai.
Further Read : A Detailed Guide to 15 Top Places for Trekking in Karnataka
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the top places to visit from Mumbai in 3 days?
The top sightseeing places to visit from Mumbai in 3 days are:
- Matheran- Eco-Friendly Hill Station
- Lonavala- Land of waterfalls and pristine lakes
- Nashik- Wine Capital of India
- Mahabaleshwar- Honeymoon Destination
- Panchgani- British Summer Capital
2. What are some of the top tourist attractions in Nashik?
Some of the top tourist attractions in Nashik are:
- Sula Vineyard
- Pandavleni Caves
- York Winery
- Trimbakeshwar Temple
3. What are the best honeymoon destinations in Maharashtra?
4. Which is the cheapest hill station in India?
The top 5 cheapest hill stations in India are:
5. What are the best hill stations in India?
- Leh-Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir
- Ooty, Tamil Nadu
- Nainital, Uttarakhand
- Coorg, Karnataka
- Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
- Wayanad, Kerala
- Shillong, Meghalaya