Bali is an island which can’t escape any ardent traveller’s bucket list. The diverse number of things to do in Bali is so amazing that you would want to go back again and again. Adventure, nature, nightlife or sports, Bali hosts a million things to do. Check out our top fun things to do in Bali, to make the most of your trip to this awe-inspiring island.
Top Things To Do In Bali
1. Soar high above the jungle in The Bali swing
Love rope swings? Bali has exhilarating rope swings hung over trees and hills. These swings are one of the crazy things to do in Bali. These swings are hung in such a way to give spectacular views of the jungles, waterfalls, valleys and lakes of Bali. It is a famous activity among adrenaline junkies. As there are various choices of Swings, choose a height that’s comfortable for you.
- Best places: The Bali swing, Wanagiri Hidden hills swing
- Highlight: Click unique pictures swinging in the air above the lush greenery
Must Read : 18 Best Beaches in Bali: Beach vacation
2. Enjoy natural jacuzzis in Tegal Wangi beach
Tegal Wangi beach is a hidden paradise in the Bukit peninsula Bali. The white sand beach is famous for its naturally formed rock pools and dramatic cliff formations. You can enjoy the pools aka natural jacuzzis in low tide or take a break under the famous caves located at the end of the beach. Watch one among the best sunset views in Bali, from the Tegal Wangi cliff top overlooking electric blue waters and a scenic shore. Taking photos from inside the cave at sunset is one of the fun things to do in Bali.
- How to reach: The beach is far away from the main attractions, so scooters are the best way. Park your scooter and walk through a clear pathway between bushes to get to the beach.
- Highlight: Natural Jacuzzis, Sunset cave
3. Trek to the surreal Sekumpul Waterfall
Sekumpul waterfalls is a natural wonder and top the list of exciting things to do in Bali. The waterfall is present in the northern region and is dubbed as the best waterfall in Bali. It looks surreal with many water streams dropping down from 80 m high cliffs filled with tropical plants and trees. To get to the bottom of Sekumpul, take the north entrance, that way you get to see the falls from an incredible viewpoint, and walk through steep steps and cross a shallow river. Enjoy the roaring sounds and consistent misty spray in Sekumpul.
- How to reach: Rent a taxi and driver, or rent a scooter, and drive through the windy roads from any region of Bali. It takes 2.5 – 3 hrs from Kuta.
- Highlight: The view from above and below the tropical waterfall is the best in the world.
4. Go Surfing in Bali
If you are a pro surfer or know nothing about surfing, any level of surfer finds ideal waves at the beautiful Bali. For beginners hoping to learn surf, Bali will surprise you with its wide options. Don’t doubt it, just enrol in one of the many surfing schools along Kuta beach, and learn the sport from skilled instructors. If you have got the skills, explore the Uluwatu or Canggu beaches, to test out your surfing skills and have fun. Surfing is one of the top things to do in Bali and the island has an active surfing community riding the waves all the time.
- Best spots: Kuta, Padang Padang, Balangan and most of the south coast beaches.
- Highlight: Learn surfing from scratch, best reef breaks
Must Read: Scuba Diving in Bali – A Complete Guide
5. Watch the iconic Kecak fire dance
Kecak fire dance is the most famous traditional Balinese dance, where human vocals act as musical instruments and their foot tapping forms the rhythm. In the delightful performances, the dancers tell the story of Ramayana with coordinated steps and dramatic costumes. The Kecak fire dance held at the Uluwatu cliff amphitheatre is one of the best Bali activities. Here, the dance performance starts during sunset with dramatic views of the Indian Ocean as a backdrop.
- Best places: Uluwatu temple, GWK cultural park, Pura Dalem Taman Kaja at Ubud
- Highlight: Artistic dance performance by a 65+ group of people
6. Sunrise by the Tegallalang rice terraces
Tegalalang fields are terraced paddy fields present to the north of Ubud. A visit the lush green paddy fields during early mornings is among the top things to do in Bali. Through the sun rays filtering through palm trees, the views of the terraced fields are jaw-dropping good. Walk the fields anytime during the year and the views never disappoint you. Don’t miss clicking under the Love Bali signs on the roadside overlooking the valleys.
- How to reach: A 20-minute drive from Ubud
- Highlight: A walk through the scenic terraced rice fields
7. Soak up the Sun at the best beaches in Bali
What’s the one thing you can’t miss in Bali? It is visiting the picture-perfect beaches. The coasts boast most beautiful shores and crystal clear water, pumping the desire of any beach bum. You will be spoilt for choice when it comes to beaches in Bali. Read your favourite book or watch the scenic waters or sunbathe to perfect tanned skin, Bali beaches is your coolest vacation spot that is both awesome and free.
- Best places: Kuta, Seminyak, Balangan, Nusa Dua
- Highlight: Relax, sunbathe and play in the beautiful beaches
8. Rejuvenate your body at natural hot springs
Hot springs in Bali are secret gems of nature you don’t want to miss. The hot water springs in Bali are considered Holy and they are rich in minerals that act as a medicine for the body. There are well constructed old baths surrounded by lush forests, where the spring water pour from carved stone pipes. These springs are luxury by nature and are considered one of the exciting things to do in Bali. Make sure to follow the local rituals and enjoy the healing experience in Bali.
- Best places: Banjar Hot springs, Tabanan Hot springs, Angseri Hot Springs
- Highlight: Bath in the hot springs for healing properties
9. Walk through the notorious Monkey forest
Monkey forest is the common term for Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary, where nature and humans coexist beautifully. The forest is an open sanctuary inhabiting many long-tailed monkeys. Monkey forest is a unique experience and one of the top things to do in Bali. There is a Hindu temple inside and the forest is considered sacred by the local people. You can walk among the long-tailed friends in a pathway and visit the temple. But be careful, don’t carry food or any plastic covers, monkeys tend to grab them and don’t disturb them.
- How to reach: Rent a car or motorbike, Monkey forest is located very near to Ubud town area
- Highlight: Walk through a forest with 600+ monkeys and an ancient Hindu temple
10. Dip in the holy spring of Trita Empul
Trita Empul is a water temple built in 962 AD, famous for its holy water springs. The temple lies on a bubbling spring and has a large complex filled with monuments from the ancient era. The mesmerising views of the temple is a treat to the eye. It is believed that a ritual bath in the holy spring water will cleanse you of your sins. Taking the refreshing spring water bath is one of the favourite things to do in Bali among tourists. The spiritual vibe of this place will refresh your soul. Visit the temple during full moon day for spectacular views and special prayers.
- How to reach: Tampaksiring town can be reached by buses or taxis from all major Bali towns.
- Highlight: Largest water temple, Springwater bath
Suggested Read: Top 10 Temples In Bali That Cannot Be Missed
11. Trek an active Volcano
Bali has an interesting topography and Volcanoes are an integral part of it. The Mount Batur Volcano is a famous spot for hiking, where you get to hike up 1717 m above the sea level. The sunrise trek is one of the most popular things to do in Bali, it takes 2 hrs and is a medium level trek. You will have to take a guide along with you and the trek begins 2 hrs before Sunrise. That way, the trek is thrilling in the dark and you can enjoy the spectacular sunrise views and the rocky terrain by reaching the summit.
- How to reach: Rent a taxi to reach the starting point. It takes 2hrs from Seminyak and 1.5hrs from Ubud.
- Highlight: Trekking in the dark to watch the Sunrise from Mount Batur
12. Gorge on the yummy Indonesian food
Bali is a foodie’s paradise with umpteen number of options in food. The street food here is a flavoursome delight with fresh herbs and spices. Try some of the best Balinese dishes like Nasi Goreng, Sambal Matah, Bebek Betutu or Nasi Campur from roadside warungs. Chicken satay with peanut sauce is another best dish you cannot miss from the eateries here. If you are into organic eating, there are many artistic cafes serving the best organic Bali dishes. Bali also hosts the best of Gourmet food, with international chefs cooking up at the best-rated restaurants.
- Best places: Seminyak, Ubud, Uluwatu
- Highlight: Experience the best gastronomic journey in Bali
Suggested Read: Cruise in Bali | Day and Sunset Cruise in Bali
13. Go island hopping to the paradisiacal Gili islands
Gili islands are a set of three islands known for blissful beaches and rich marine life. The island is free of motorized vehicles, you can walk or cycle your way through the fresh Gili air. The islands have a bohemian vibe, with cafes and colourful cycles. Enjoy a relaxing time on the most scenic beaches and click a picture at the scenic beachside swing. Try out snorkelling here, you can find old statues, turtles, Nemo fish and colourful corals, to say a few. Island hopping is one of the fun things to do in Bali, so get on the fast boats to Gili paradise.
- How to reach: Take ferries or fast boats from Padang Bai beach to Gili islands
- Highlight: Take a short boat ride to picturesque Gili islands
14. Take a picture at the Gates of Heaven Pura Lempuyang
Pura Lempuyang is a sacred mountain with seven temples at different stages. The Gates of Heaven is Hindu Balinese architecture marvel, which symbolises the entry into holy place from the outer world. The gate is present at the end of a flight of stairs in the first temple and during clear sky days, you can see Mount Agung framed in between the two halves. You can walk on and explore the seven temples, it will take around 4 hrs. The views from each temple are unique and the spiritual journey through jungles finding the temples is refreshing.
- How to reach: The temple is 75kms from Ubud, rent a car, as the place is far east away from tourist attractions
- Highlight: Take an Instagram worthy shot at the Gates of Heaven, experience the serene temple complexes
15. Party your heart out at the famous beachside bars
Bali is famous for its electrifying nightlife and parties. Parties and colourful drinks start from day time on famous beaches. If you love partying, go on to the famous beachfront bars and party hard till dawn. The various kinds of cocktails, luring beaches, infectious vibe and best dance floors, make partying in Bali great experience.
- Best places: Kuta, Seminyak
- Highlight: Exciting parties amidst nature
16. Witness beautiful sea temple, Tanah Lot
Visiting the Tanah Lot temple is one of the top things to do in Bali. It is the most photographed temple in Bali and a revered religious site. It is one of the seven ocean temples in Bali, that was built to drive away evil from the ocean. The temple is impressively carved on a rock near the shore, during low tide you can walk to the temple itself and see the legendary guardian snakes. Tanah Lot is at its best during sunsets, the views are incredible and is a crowd puller. You can also visit Batu Bolong temple, perched on a rock with hallowed overpass a few kilometres from Tanah Lot.
- How to reach: It is 1 hr from Ubud and 1.5 hrs from Kuta region.
- Highlight: Best sea temple in Bali
17. Refresh your mind, body and soul at open-air yoga studios
Bali is spiritually rooted and yoga is a famous regimen in Bali culture. There are many blissful yoga centres located in picturesque locations in Bali. Taking yoga classes is one of the top Bali activities. What’s the best way to learn yoga than in the best natural environment? The vast ocean and lush green surroundings will enrich your wellness retreat and give you the best atmosphere for yoga practices. Most places have lodging and organic food for a complete detox from the fast-paced lifestyle.
- Best places: Yoga Barn, Blue earth village, Radiantly alive
- Highlight: Go all ‘Eat. Pray. Love’ with refreshing yoga sessions in Bali
18. Take a cooking class
Put on your chef hat and learn about the skills and techniques involved behind the tasty Indonesian meals. Most of the cooking classes come with a trip to the local markets, to identify and learn about the fresh spices, fruits and vegetables dominating the cuisine. You get to cook the must-try dishes like sambal or satay or nasi goreng and signature desserts, with the help of top chefs. If you love cooking and exploring different cuisines, book one of these cooking classes and you will definitely enjoy it.
- Best places: Bambu Bali, Paon Bali, Green kitchen
- Highlight: Introduction to Indonesian cuisine, a trip to the local market
19. Spot the resident Dolphins at Lovina
Dolphins are always a favourite. Want to spot them in its natural habitat? Hop on a boat ride from Bali’s beautiful black sand beach Lovina. You will have to get on the boat early in the morning to have the best chances of spotting them. The Sunrise from the boat is nothing short of a spectacle. You can also continue to nearby dive spots and discover the rich marine life of the region along. The boat ride from Lovina is one of the crazy things to do in Bali for adventure seekers.
- How to reach: Lovina beach is 90kms from Kuta beach and is a 2hr ride.
- Highlight: Spotting many dolphins at its natural habitat
20. Try out the adventurous water sports
Snorkelling and diving are the next best thing to do other than surfing on beaches. Best snorkel spots are Blue Lagoon beach, Amed beach and Nusa islands. Padang Bai is the best spot for diving. Sanur is famous for water sports other than surfing like kitesurfing, stand up paddleboarding and paragliding. Wreck diving at Tulamben is a popular Bali activity, where you can dive to see USAT liberty sunk during World War II and there’s a coral garden nearby. If you want to try river rafting, Ayung river is where the best terrain is. On the more crazier side, try out water jet packs in Tanjung Benoa, where you can fly up to 10m.
- Highlight: There are so many sports other than surfing to enjoy in Bali
Recommended For You : 13 Best Beaches in Asia for Your Tropical Holiday
21. Swim in the natural pools of Bali
Bali has exciting natural pools with the best views that will beat any luxurious man made a pool. Bali’s natural pools are the perfect way to relax and unwind, so taking up the tough paths to them is worth it. You can find some of the rarest listed here. Tukad Cepung Waterfall is an underground waterfall, the pool at the bottom of the falls can be reached by walking down steep steps.
Angel’s Billabong has a surreal natural infinity pool overlooking the endless ocean; this lagoon can be found near the broken beach in Bali. Sambangan Secret Gardens is a set of idyllic pools among the tropical jungles of Bali where you can swim, dive or slide in the pool. Always be cautious at these locations and take good guidance before stepping in.
- Highlight: Swim in naturally formed, crystal clear pools of Bali
Bali is filled with natural luxuries and human-made adventures to spice up your vacation. Take a tour and don’t miss any of the above said best things to do in Bali. Go, experience the best of everything, at this incredible island.