Mountains have never disappointed a single person on this planet. With their huge and beautiful magnitude along with the scenic beauty all around, mountains are among the most favourite places to visit for travelers. May it be seeking some solitude or hiking and trekking, mountains have it all for you. And what better place to witness the beautiful mountains than Switzerland. Mountains in Switzerland are quite huge and beautiful with their natural beauty and gorgeous villages tucked in them. While you are in Switzerland, do not forget to visit these mountains and the villages nearby to have an experience of lifetime.
In this article, we will take a look at some of the best mountains of Switzerland and things to do around them.
Best Time To Visit
If you are someone who loves snow, then December to March is the perfect time to visit the mountains in Switzerland. With the layers of ice and abundant natural beauty around, mountains become the favourite tourist spot in Switzerland. April to May is the time which is perfect for hikers and backpackers. If you are someone who loves hiking the trails and exploring the perfect spots in the mountains, this is the best season. July to September is the ideal season for outdoor activities and October to December is the off season when the rates are quite low.
Thus, as per your choice, you can choose the best time to visit Switzerland. Now let us take a look at some of the best mountains of Switzerland.
Also Read: Best Time To Visit Switzerland
1. The Matterhorn
Among the most famous mountains in Switzerland, The Matterhorn is quite popular among both tourists and travelers. People from all over the world come visit the Matterhorn to witness it’s majestic beauty along with the numerous activities around it. The quaint little town of Zermatt is well- known for its close proximity to Matterhorn. The place is popularly known as the glacier paradise. While there are a number of activities to do around Matterhorn, if you are lucky you can spot the Mount Blanc on a clear day, which is the highest mountains of the Europe.
If you are looking for some adventure, go for the highest cable car station in Europe at Klein Matterhorn.
- How to reach Zermatt- Zermatt is about 3 hours ride from Zurich and a 4 hour ride from Geneva . Also, the glacier express runs directly to Zermatt. Tasch is the last accessible point by automobile.
- Popular attractions- Flower shops in Zermatt, Gorner Gorge- 220 million year old, Vispa river and glacier palace museum.
2. Jungfrau Region
Jungfrau is among the few sparsely populated places in Switzerland. The vast meadows , lush green landscapes, picturesque towns , hamlets and glaciers is what makes Jungfrau a very special place to visit. The vast scenery full of mountains and gorgeous villages is so beautiful that you would not feel like stopping.
Interlaken town is among the most popular places here. You can enjoy numerous activities while you are in Jungfrau which includes skiing, hiking, ice skating and much more. Also, jungfraujoch is the highest train station in all of Europe which is almost 700 meters below the Jungfrau peak. Thus, Jungfrau is easily among the most famous mountains in Switzerland that you must visit.
- How to reach Jungfrau – You can get in the Cogwheel ply train from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfrau which runs every day. Kleine Scheidegg can be reached in half an hour from Grindelwald.
- Popular attractions- Jungfrau peak, Brienz and Thun boat tours, Hoheweg, Gimmelwald, Wengen, Grindelwald Ski Resort.
3. Monta Rosa
A lot of you might think that Matterhorn or Eiger is the highest mountain in Switzerland but it is Monta Rosa. You can climb up the mountain if you are well certified mountaineer from Saas Fee or Zermatt.
But for the most of the people who are not professionals, you can go stay at the Monta Rosa hut which is at the base of the mountain. It offers you some of the splendid views of the peak along with the chance of staying in a hut. The structure of the hut is space like and very much dreamy giving you an experience like never before. Also, the hike to the hut involves crossing a small glacier , so make sure take a guide with you from Zermatt.
Also Read: Top Incredible things to do in Zermatt
4. St. Moritz
This quaint little hamlet is located nearby Zurich and has a number of activities that you can enjoy while you are here. Take a walk down the Lake Staz early morning to feel the crisp of the mountain air. St.Moritz is a perfect place for nature lovers and has numerous trails and hikes around. Lake Moritz is mostly covered in snow and has a very enchanting vibe to it whenever you visit it.
If you want to explore the town beyond the usual, head to the museum to learn more about the history of the place. There are also a number of churches around that needs to seen when you here. Thus, while you are here, do make it a point to visit St.Moritz which has some of the best mountains in Switzerland.
- How to reach St.Moritz- It takes about 2:30 hours to reach St.Moritz from Zurich or Milan. Also, if you are coming down from Munich by road, it takes somewhere around 4 hours.
- Popular attractions- Cresta run ride, segantini museum, Muottas Muragl, Engadine, Diavolezza, and the Leaning Tower Engadin.
If you wish to see the grand panorama of the mountains in Switzerland, Stanserhorn is the perfect place. This mountain town near Lucerne is extremely scenic with abundant natural beauty all around.
Also, there are quite a few activities that can be done which includes numerous hikes, funicular rides and much more. Thus, Stanserhorn is easily among the best places to see the mountains in Switzerland an experience activities around them.
- How to reach Stanserhorn- It is about a 20 minute drive from Lucerne, and can be reached by train and car erasily. Lucerne is well connected to Zurich and Bern by air and rail as well.
- Popular attractions- Double decker cable car ride, candle light dinner at Cabrio, Boat ride and water sports at Lucerne Bay and Richard Wagner Museum.
A lot of people travel to Lucerne but miss out on beautiful spots there. Among such places is the Mount Pilatus which is easily among the most famous mountains in Switzerland. While you can climb up all the way to witness the gorgeous views around, there are numerous activities that you do while you are near Pilatus.
There are numerous trails to get all the way up to Pilatus.
- How to reach Pilatus- There are 3 ways to reach Pilatus. Let us take a look how.
- Take a cog railway from Altenstadt which is the world’s steepest railway route.
- A gondola ride to Pilatus all the way from Kreins.
- You can hike all the way up from Alpnachstad. This trek requires certain amount of fitness and previous experience.
- Popular attractions – paragliding, eco trails, pilatus bahnen AG, Free walk lucerne.
Also Read: Best Time To Visit Europe In 2020
One of the most popular mountains in Switzerland is the Rigi. Located near the Lucerne in Switzerland, Rigi is a place where you can enjoy numerous activities. You can also combine a visit to Rigi with a boat ride to nearby places like Weggis or Vitznau.
The boats that you will find are here most old fashioned making it a different experience altogether for you. Also, if you are a hiking enthusiasts, Rigi has a number of trails that can be explore. Thus, Rigi is easily among the most famous mountains in Switzerland.
- How to reach Rigi- There are 4 ways to reach Rigi. Let us see how
- Take a cog railway from Vitznau
- Take a cog railway from Arth- Goldau
- Taking a gondola ride all the way from Weggis
- You can also hike all the way upto to Rigi from a number of places.
- Popular attractions- Mineralbad and spa rigi, Nature- und tierpark goldau, etc.
In the end, Switzerland mesmerizes its visitors with the amount of natural beauty it has. But the mountains and the gorgeous little villages tucked in to them are something that you must miss while you are here. Thus, you trip to Switzerland is almost incomplete without visiting the mountains.
Further Read: Most romantic places in Europe
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best month to go to Switzerland?
Between June and August is the best month to visit Switzerland.
2. What is the cheapest month to fly to Switzerland?
November is the cheapest month to fly to Switzerland.
3. How safe is Switzerland?
It is safe to travel to Switzerland. The visitors rarely face any violent crimes.
4. Is it expensive to visit Switzerland?
Switzerland is very expensive to visit. It is one of the most expensive country in Europe to visit.
5. What is the closest city to the Swiss Alps?
The two closest city to the Alps are Geneva and Bern.