Whether you are planning to travel around the world or take a small summer vacation, we have tips and tricks to be a better traveller. From seamlessly transcending the airports to getting the most out of your destination, check out our handy smart travel tips before travelling. Travel is about acquiring experiences and unwinding your soul. But packing the right luggage, managing the airports, saving money, sleeping better can be stressful without important travel hacks. So, travel hassle-free with these fantastic tips from our travel experts.
Essential tips to know before travelling
When you have picked your dream destination, the next steps are about means of transport, accommodation, luggage and safety measures. If you want to meet the locals and have an authentic experience of the place, make sure you plan the essentials right.
1. Reaching the destination
One of the first decisions to make before travelling is how to reach the destination. Booking flight tickets and getting your way around the airport can be tricky at first. It is also a series of demanding tasks like getting the luggage right, reaching on time, coping through the layovers, passing the long security lines, and other hassles. To have a stress free flying experience, follow the steps below,
a. To book the cheapest flight
- Check out the availability of all the flights in best flight search engines like Google flights, Skyscanner, Momondo, etc. well in advance.
- Always make sure you search in incognito mode to avoid a surge in prices through cookies from browsers.
- Wednesdays are the cheapest days to fly out, followed by Tuesdays and Saturdays, book during these fewer peak days to get a good deal.
- Don’t always look for direct flights to your destination. You can fly to a nearby airport for a cheaper fare and connect to your destination through rail or road.
- While booking connecting flights, take care of the layover time. You can also spend a day exploring the intermediate place and then hop onto your connecting flight.
- It goes without saying that booking ahead saves more money.
b. To save time at the airport
- Check the flight status to be informed about delays or cancellations.
- Check in online to secure your favourite seat if you are not checking in luggage.
- Pack smart in a carry-on to avoid long queues for checked in luggage unless you are on a long holiday.
- Always keep the documents safe and handy for saving time.
c. To get a good sleep on and off the plane
- Dress in breathable clothes and carry your go-to gear like a neck pillow, eye mask or earplug to escape the chaos.
- Make sure to have a free legroom, no carry-ons stuffed there.
- Hydration is essential on your flights, which also helps with Jetlag.
- Try to set your body to the time of your destination, by skipping meals or sleeping early to feel better when you reach.
2. Navigating the destination
When you are at the destination, a good idea about the local transportation is essential to enjoy your stay. To ease your way through the local transport, follow the smart tips below,
- Have an idea of different means of local transport like bus, train, taxi, boats, etc.. And connectivity of public transport.
- Check out about the availability of rental vehicles such as bicycles, bikes and cars and choose the one aligning with your taste of commuting.
- Learn a few words of the local language upfront to ease up your conversations, and it impresses the locals to help you with a more authentic experience.
- Ticketing rules change as you travel across the world, so make sure you follow the rules.
- Avoid boarding an empty train or bus in a new place, and always carry a map accessible offline.
- With on-demand cab services in boom all around the world, most parts are accessible with Uber and Lyft cabs. This is an easy way to travel and very safe. You can use a mobile app to book and explore the city in a comfortable taxi. Make sure you have checked the security options in the app and check if the driver’s name and license plate matches before hopping on.
- Opting public transports can save you from cash conversion hassles, as many of them charge through online payments.
- Keep your bags safe on crowded commutes and dress like locals to reduce the unwanted attraction.
Tip – One of the best ways to make your holiday hassle-free is by pre-booking your local transportation. Look out for services similar to Euro Taxis that provide cost-effective and convenient Taxis in Bristol.
3. Packing tips
Being organized when you pack your bags for the vacation is going to help you big time. It is a difficult start for your travel when you start searching for the documents at the airport or find out that you missed your wallet suddenly. Forgetting an essential item can cost you more, or it would be difficult to find it in a foreign country. So worry not, we have the best travel tips to aid your pivotal step in travelling,
a. To pack smart
- There is no better way than starting with an ultimate packing list, just download one of the templates available online and customize it. Make it an exhaustive list to never miss out on anything.
- Light luggage means more comfort, more flexibility.
- Keep the toiletries in zip bags to pass the security checks with ease (prefer sample sizes products). And carry extra clear bags as its versatile and can be used for any emergency needs.
- Rolling your clothes will save space. Always keep the clothes at the base and odd-shaped things over it in your luggage.
- Make sure you pack comfortable shoes and sandals instead of heels. Snug fit footwear is a must for exploring a place.
- Avoid using small size pouches to save space in the luggage.
b. What to carry?
- Don’t forget to carry an extra pair of essential toiletries, a scarf, electronic gadgets, and the required amount of money or card in your carry on bag.
- Carry a water bottle for hydration and chocolate or biscuit or granola of your choice for instant energy.
- Take things depending on your type of trip, itinerary, weather conditions, total days of travel and your modes of transportation. It’s easy to overlook one of the factors, especially look out for present weather conditions.
- Hotel laundry bags are best for dirty clothes and packing your shoes.
- Always carry a small health kit.
- Comfort wears which can be multi-purposed is all you need to pack.
With innovative accommodation services, it’s an easy task to find your best fit. There are good old hotels, traveller’s hostels, serviced apartments and paying guest options, opening a wide range of choices to today’s traveller. Read more for an introduction on all the new age accommodation options and how to get the best out of hotel deals. The first tip is to be clear about your needs, as hostels can suit budget travellers and star hotels can give you a luxurious staying experience. So, debate and be vivid with your needs for the trip.
a. Tips to score best hotel deals
- Choose to book the opposites, book in a resort mid week for better deals and in a business hotel for better weekend deals.
- Loyalty points in booking sites or hotels and reward points from credit cards are best used when booking hotel rooms. So check out the perks before you book.
- Check business hotels for summers, as they are offseason for the hotels, and they offer good prices.
- Compare prices in different websites or download apps which compare them for you. Also, sign up for price drop alerts at your favourite hotel to get a good deal.
- Check the prices even after booking as there can be price drops and you can get discounts from the hotel.
- Ask about the complimentary services and be aware of the extra charges upfront. Also, don’t hesitate to enquire and upgrades and what the hotel can offer.
- Booking rooms at a new property can be cheap and will have good services.
- Try to eat local food and avoid hotel food all the three meals, to cut your cost and also get a taste of the place.
- Check if the airlines you travel have a tie-up with hotel chains, booking them can give you bundled offers.
b. Tips for pleasant and cheap hostel stays
- Gone are the days that people refrain from staying in backpackers hostels afraid about safety, bed bugs and zero amenities. If you are a backpacker and looking for cheap stays with excellent amenities, check out the backpackers hostels in your destination.
- Choose the right hostel as they can be specialized for different needs and always read the reviews before booking.
- Pack your toiletries and towels, and all the essentials as hostels don’t provide them.
- Feel free to talk with the fellow travellers staying at the hostel to share experiences and make friends. Also, ask the hostel employees about the place and good restaurants.
- Don’t hesitate to try and cook during your stay with fresh local ingredients, it can be a break from eating outside food daily.
- If you want to get good sleep, book single rooms as dorms can be disturbing.
- Check if there’s a safe for your valuables, or else keep it in your backpack and sleep on it.
- Ask plenty of questions, like availability of kitchen, guide, clean linens and cancellation charges.
c. Tips to find offbeat and experiential accommodations
- Try Airbnb hosting experiences, they give you a taste of local culture and safe stays. Check the reviews and compare to get a tailor-made experience for you.
- Try out homestays for a local experience, but check if its verified and have satisfying reviews.
- People also offer stay and food for labour over a period of time and can be a great experience.
- House-sitting is also becoming popular now a day, where you offer to look after the pets, garden and the property itself. It’s a great way to take your own time to explore a place.
- When you opting for an authentic homestay, make sure you respect the people and property, be courteous and don’t take liberties with the place. Always inform about your schedule and needs upfront.
- When it comes to accommodation, the golden rule is to ‘Just Ask’, and that solves all the problems.
5. Sightseeing tips
When it comes to exploring a new place, finding the usual highlights is easy, but finding the secret sights, historical places and offbeat attractions require planning. Take a glimpse on our travel tips and tricks to explore the place to your heart’s content,
a. To plan your visit seamlessly
- Set up your list of must-see places in the destination and draw a map on how to reach one from the other.
- Don’t plan to accomplish too much in one day, instead, plan to see 3 or 4 places nearby and roam the streets leisurely.
- Always visit the highlights first. Also, sightsee selectively according to your interest; otherwise, it may exhaust you.
- Once you are insight, check out the highlights first and then look at the other spots. You may miss the highlights if you keep it for the last.
- Always check out the ticket prices and options to book online to be sure of your entry.
- Also, check the opening and closing time; generally, you won’t be allowed in 30 minutes prior to the closing time.
- Ask the locals for hidden gems in the city and refer the guides or blogs written about the place for interesting places in the city.
b. To make it special
- Sunrise and sunset will amp up the glory of the place, so plan visiting beaches, parks or historical sites at this hour of the day.
- Don’t overthink to get a local guide for historical monuments or ruins, as you can experience the place to the fullest with important references.
- Seek out special experiences like biking, cultural events, plays, festivals, etc.. which ends up being the most memorable take away from your trip.
- Sometimes try out the touristy things for the pleasure of it.
- Busy markets are the ideal place to observe the culture, and you can buy your kind of souvenirs there.
- Pack your day with an adventurous activity or explore a means of transport, to break the routine of just observing a sight.
- Take time to relax, as it can be overwhelming to go on planned schedules for a week’s time.
Also See: Top 10 free things to do in Edinburgh
6. Safety tips
Safety is the first priority while travelling. Wherever you go, learning to be safe is your first goal. Planning for some uncertain events to come will hold you tight while your travel. So panic less and follow our safe travelling tips,
- Always take your valuables with you, no safe is safe than your backpack. Place your passport, visa, bank cards safe in a small wallet with you.
- Have a secret stash of cash deep in your luggage, and have hard copies of your important documents. It is also a good idea to have a copy of your credit card, important documents and hotel information stored in Google drive or any cloud storage.
- Travel insurance is an essential step before you travel; don’t skip it if you are planning for an adventurous trip.
- Research extensively about the destination, and look up all kinds of safety information upfront.
- Read reviews and check ratings in different sites before booking lodging, transportation and excursions.
- When planning for an adventure or sport like hiking or skiing, check out the risks, chances for injuries and availability of hospital facilities.
- Don’t carry all of your cards with you, have an essential credit card and limited cash. Other cards can be kept with your luggage and taken out when needed for an emergency.
7. Food tips
Many travellers travel just for the food. It is the most fun part of your travel and can get go wrong in many ways. So be sure you check out our travel tips for better food experience,
- Eat light before long flights and long bus travels and eat well after the travel.
- Stay hydrated all the time, carry an empty bottle with you and fill up whenever available.
- Always carry nutrient-rich snacks like energy bars, also buy some fruits locally.
- Eat local food, they keep you healthy than the nationalized chains of fast foods.
- Try out organized food tours for the best experience of local food.
- The crowd is your clue when it comes to street food, ask the people who are eating there for the speciality.
- When you can’t understand the menu, walk through the restaurant and order through your hands from the display.
- If you are signing up for a classic dining experience, reserve it before and know about etiquette.
- Have an idea of the country’s cuisine and basic ingredients to prevent yourself from allergies. In doubt, check the ingredients with the restaurant.
Travel tips for all kinds of travellers
Travel is more about the company; an irritating travel partner can kill your experience while a like-minded traveller is going to make the experience rich. Don’t hesitate to travel solo, you get to do what you want and gain a lifetime’s experience. If you are going on a solo trip, honeymoon trip or first-time overseas trip, whatever your preference is, we have got you covered,
1. Travel tips for solo travellers
Solo travel is exhilarating. Who wouldn’t want to pack their bags and go roam around the world? Solo travel gives you time to indulge fully in yourself. Going solo looks attractive nowadays, but it is tough and trying, so brace yourself up.
- Safety is first when you are planning your solo trip. Also, think safety at every step of your planning.
- Pack light so that it’s easy to carry around and you don’t have to search for places to keep it safe.
- Try to plan your arrival in the daytime as it mostly avoids uncertain and dangerous situations.
- Observe the locals and talk to them. Solo travelling is not just about being to yourself, but to make new friends and experiences your own way.
- Store essential and important items in one place, and keep your phone charged.
- Try both organized tours and off beaten paths to prevent feeling exhausted by your own plans.
2. Travel tips for couples
Travelling with your romantic partner is an awesome experience. We would feel that the trip would be smooth as you are travelling with your partner, but it can be tricky to satisfy each other’s needs. You both can have different opinions from the simplest things, so always talk it out before the trip and read our useful tips,
- Travelling is stressful, so don’t panic when you don’t feel relaxed with your partner after you arrive. Give some time.
- Share your responsibilities as one will be good with packing while the other will be good with maps.
- Accept that not all days are going to be romantic and try to enjoy the place as much as you can.
- Try out each other’s adventurous dreams and come out from the comfort zones. You learn a lot and experience a memorable trip when you push out of your comfort zone. It’s better with the support of your partner.
3. Travel tips for first international travel
Travelling overseas for the first time is exciting and stressful at the same time. So learn from experienced travellers for travel tips to prevent you from making the common mistakes,
- Bring copies of your important documents, for backup.
- Make sure you know the monetary values of a country. Carry some converted cash and learn how to convert it in a foreign country. Learn about your international credit card rules and how to access your bank account from abroad.
- Pack an extra shoe with your luggage, as comfortable shoes is a must.
- Carry an adapter and charger for your electronic gadgets for smooth connectivity.
Travel is an essential part of life. Experience the awesomeness of travel offers by travelling right with our helpful tips.