The lush greenery of the Western Ghats, rich bio-diversity and jaw-dropping scenery everywhere you look; these are just a few things that make Munnar a great holiday destination. The reasons why Munnar attracts thousands of tourists from around the globe is quite long. From stunning national parks to spectacular historical sites, from thrilling adventure activities to quaint picnic spots, Munnar offers a lot to the tourists, making it one of the top places to go on a vacation. Before you plan a holiday in this chunk of paradise, make sure you know when will it be the best time to visit Munnar for you.
To the delight of travelers, Munnar is one of the few places in Kerala that can be visited at any time of the year. Each season brings a different charm to this town, making even the monsoon season a good time to visit Munnar. Munnar broadly has three seasons; Summer, Monsoons, and Winters. Because Munnar has perfect weather throughout the year, the best time to visit Munnar depends largely on the purpose of the visit.
Did You Know?
Once in every 12 years, Munnar’ landscape is dominated by a rare bluish-purple flower known as Neelakurinji. Neelakuringi and an endemic plant that blossoms once in 12 years. The last blooming took place in 2018.
(Source: Climate data org)
Summers In Munnar – Best Time To Visit Munnar For Families
- Summer Months: March to June
- Avg temperature: 17-degree celsius
- Approximate Price for a Munnar holiday: Rs 7500/- per person (3 Nights, 4 Days)
March marks the onset of Summer season in Munnar. According to the statistics by Kerala tourism, the summer months (March to May) brings the highest domestic tourist to Munnar. It is easy to understand why. While most of the country faces the wrath of the scorching sun, Munnar enjoys delightful weather with temperatures rarely going beyond 20-degree Celsius. Summertime is one of the best time for families to visit Munnar because of multiple reasons.
Suggested read: Top 11 stunning places to visit in Munnar
If you are visiting Munnar between March and June, don’t forget to pack a set of light woollen clothes for everyone. The climate in Munnar can get a bit chilly even during the summers.
Here are a few reasons why you should visit Munnar with your family this summer:
Best place to spend the summer vacation with kids
Summer vacations offer families the much-needed break from routine. There is no better way to take a break than by going on a vacation. With ample of kid-friendly activities and lots of entertaining tourist places, Munnar is regarded as an ideal family retreat.
Munnar is known to have some really great tree houses. Surprise your kids and make their Kerala tour extra special by staying at one of the Treehouses in Munnar.
Adults are in for a treat too! Apart from stunning natural beauty all around you, Munnar has numerous kid-friendly tourist attractions like Echo Point, Kundala Lake, Mattupetty dam and so on. It’s recommended that families visit Munnar during the summers and most of the tourist attractions can be enjoyed best during this time.
Did You Know?
Due to summers being the peak tourist season, hotels get completely booked soon. It is highly recommended that you book your hotels well in advance, to avoid paying extra.
Best time to take up Adventure activities
Whether you are a solo-thrill-seeking Traveller or a group of adventurous family/friends, going to Munnar in summers is a great idea! Munnar doesn’t disappoint anyone looking for adrenaline-pumping activities. From boating to rock climbing you will find numerous activities to choose from. Here are our top recommendations:
- Go on a Shikara ride on Kundala Lake
- Hike through the tea gardens
- Trek to the Anamudi Peak
Best time to experience the natural beauty
Munnar is situated at an altitude of 1532 meters above sea level. Due to much most of the time, the view from its numerous tourist spots is blanketed by thick mist. But during summers, tourists get to experience Munnar in all its splendour. Many tourist attraction Like the Eravikulam national park that usually shut down for a few months also reopen by the end of March. Furthermore, summers are the best time to take a dip in the many mesmerizing waterfalls in Munnar.
Must Read: 10 Best Places for Trekking in Kerala
What to pack for your Munnar summer vacation?
As mentioned earlier, temperatures rarely go beyond 20-degree Celsius, it is ideal to carry light woollen clothes. Also, carry your swimming costumes in case you want to take a dip in one the waterfalls in Munnar.
Carry Sunscreen And Mosquito Repellent because the day time can get really sunny and if you are visiting Munnar during the rainy season we would suggest you to wear your mosquito repellent cream.
Must visit places in Munnar during summer:
The top places to visit in Munnar during summers, especially for families are
- Echo Point – Let your kids experience the awe-inspiring Echo phenomenon.
- Mattupetty dam – Look at one of the most spectacular creations by Human beings
- Blossom Park – Best spot to go on a picnic
- Rajamalai wildlife sanctuary: Spot the endangered mountain goat
If you are visiting Munnar in April, you will be able to celebrate one of the most important festivals in Munnar. Vishu marks the astrological New Year in Kerala, timing your holiday to the festival may make your stay more fun.
Monsoons In Munnar – Best Time To Visit Munnar For Couples
- Monsoon months: July – August
- Avg temperature: 11-degree celsius
- Price for Honeymoon in Munnar (Approx): Rs 7500/- per person (3 Nights, 4 Days)
Monsoons are usually considered an off time to visit any place. But that’s not applicable to Munnar. The drenched hills, misty tea plantations and the smell of wet earth make Munnar the perfect place for couples to spend a romantic holiday. So if you are on the lookout for an exotic honeymoon, you don’t have to look too far. Visit Munnar during monsoon to have a memorable honeymoon!
Also See: Best Places to visit in July in India
Here are a few reasons why Monsoons are the best time to visit Munnar for couples:
Romance is in the air of Munnar
Munnar’s ethereal beauty is enhanced further during the monsoon season. The first downpour fills up the lakes, swells up the waterfalls and adds another layer of green to the surroundings. Monsoon is the best time to visit Munnar for couples as all the popular tourist destinations get a romantic feel to them.
Monsoon means fewer crowds
Honeymooners usually prefer going to places that are less crowded. Munnar is least crowded during the Monsoons, making it ideal for the newlyweds to go on their first vacation. Couples can enjoy Munnar many tourist attractions all to themselves.
Also read: 11 Must-Visit Places in Vagamon
For the mandatory honeymoon pictures, head to Photo Point. Munnar’s Photo Point is the ultimate destination to take those love-filled photos in a spectacular backdrop.
Endless romantic activities
Whether you and your partner are looking for a blissful honeymoon in tranquil surroundings or an adventurous honeymoon that spikes up the adrenaline levels, Munnar has got your back. Couples can go on relaxing Shikara boat ride on Kundala Lake, go on a picnic in Blossom park and visit quaint places like CSI Christ church.
On the other hand, if the love birds like chasing thrills, they can trek to Lockhart gap. This activity is highly recommended for honeymooners as it adds a romantic twist at the end. After the exciting trek, couples can relax with a view of a giant heart formed were two mountains meet.
What to pack for your Honeymoon in Munnar?
Even during monsoon, it’s ideal to pack a set of woollen clothes, as it gets very cold sometimes. Umbrellas and raincoats must be a part of your luggage too. Keep tablets for motion sickness as well, because Munnar is full of ghat sections.
Must visit Places in Munnar during Monsoons:
Top places to visit in Munnar in monsoons, especially for couples:
- Lockhart gap – Spice up your honeymoon by visiting this place where you can see nature’s heart.
- Photo point – The place to go to for perfect honeymoon pictures.
- Attukal waterfalls – A charming tourist spot that’s at it’s best in this season
- Marayoor Dolmens – Go on a date at a prehistoric spot that’s picturesque too.
If you are going shopping in Munnar we would recommend you to bargain as it will help you get massive discounts.
Winters In Munnar – Best Time For Thrill Seekers To Visit Munnar
- Monsoon months: November- February
- Avg temperature: 6.5 Degree Celsius
- Price for a Munnar holiday package (Approx): Rs 7500/- per person (3 Nights, 4 Days)
Munnar transforms into a winter wonderland between November and February. The temperatures dip up to 0 degrees in December. Despite the teeth-clattering cold, a vacation in Munnar between November and February promises picturesque views and endless thrills.
Winter season is considered to be the best time to take up adventure activities in Munnar. One might wonder what this tiny hill-station can offer to adventure enthusiasts. Well, Munnar has a lot in store for you. You can hike to the top of the highest peak in south India, take up rock-climbing, go swimming in the lakes, trek to one of the beautiful viewpoints and the list goes on.
Suggested read: 20 Spectacular Places to visit in December in India
Here is why winters are one of the best times to visit Munnar
One of the best time of experience Munnar’s Beauty
November marks the onset of the winter season in Munnar. Though there are occasional showers, the weather is chilly and amazing. Like with the other seasons, Munnar has a different charm and appeal during the Winters. Its greenery is rejuvenated by the recently past monsoons. Now, in winter, that lush greenery emerges from a thick layer of mist that blankets everything.
A visit to the popular tourist destination ‘Top station’ is a must during winters. The view from here is one of the most magical views you’ll ever come across.
Best time to try out adventurous outdoor activities
The cold weather encourages everyone to go try our adventurous outdoor activities that will warm them up. Munnar is home to endless thrilling opportunities for all age groups. Some of the most popular outdoor activities to take up in Munnar in winters are:
- Trekking/hiking: Munnar is teeming with some of the most amazing hike trails. With a wide range of trek routes to choose from one can decide to go short and easy treks or long and challenging treks. Anamudi, Top station, Pothmedu are some of the most famous trekking spots in Munnar.
- Rock Climbing and Rappelling: Rock climbing and Rappelling are another set of popular outdoor activities that can be done in Munnar. Blessed with a splendid rocky terrain, Munnar is an ideal location to try out these adrenaline pumping activities.
- Boating: Munnar has something for those looking for just a little bit of an adrenaline rush. Try out boating on one of Munnar’s lakes! Boating is one of the top activities to do during winters in Munnar.
Munnar in winters is a holiday paradise
Well, it’s obvious by now that every season in Munnar has a different appeal to holiday-goers. When it comes to Winters, Munnar turns into a paradise. With a layer of mist adding a magical charm to all the picturesque tourist spots and the chilly weather making us huddle up next our loved one, it’s just inevitable to fall in love with Munnar.
What to pack for a winter holiday in Munnar?
Pack multiple layers of woollens and warm clothing for your winter holiday in Munnar. This hill station experiences occasional showers during the winter season too. It’s best to pack a few water-resistant clothes and umbrellas. Also remember to keep your walking shoes, as exploring Munnar involves a lot of walking.
Did You Know?
Munnar, today is the commercial centre for some of the world’s highest tea-growing estates.
Must visit places in Munnar during winters:
- Top station: the place with misty views
- Pothmedu Viewpoint: Sip on warm tea and catch the winter-sun set on the horizon from this magnificent viewpoint.
- Kollukumalai Tea estate: There is nothing like hiking through the mesmerizing tea estates during the winters.
- Wonder valley adventure and fun park: This amusement park is the one-stop destination for all your adventure-needs.
To conclude, this hill station is full of beautiful places and amazing things to do. Munnar is an all-time holiday destination and you can visit it any time of the year. The best time to visit Munnar depend on the kind of holiday you are looking for!
Further read: 10 incredible places to visit in Alleppey
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are some top places to visit in Munnar?
Some of the best places to visit in Munnar are:
- Eravikulam National Park
- Blossom Park
- Christ Church
- Echo Point
- Mattupetty Dam
- Attukal Waterfalls
- Pothamedu Viewpoint
2. What are the top dishes to eat in Munnar?
The top 3 dishes to eat in Munnar and the best places to try them are:
- Appam and Stew- Saravana Bhavan
- Puttu and Kadala Curry- Raspy Restaurant
- Nadan Kozhi Varuthathu- Guru’s Restaurant
3. How to reach Munnar by rail?
The nearest railway station to Munnar is Aluva, located at a distance of 110 km. The other railway stations near Munnar are Ernakulam Railway Station- 130 km away, Madurai Railway Station- 135 km away.
4. What are some of the best things to do in Munnar?
Munnar is mainly famous among adventure enthusiast and nature seekers. Some of the best activities to do in Munnar are:
- Go for Camping and Trekking at the Echo Point.
- Go for Mountain Biking at Suryanelli, Anamudi Shola, Kundala or Marayoor.
- Try Rock Climbing at the Fun Forest Adventure Park.
- Enjoy Shikara Ride at Kundala Lake
- Take An Elephant Safari at the Carmelagiri Elephant Park
- Go Street Shopping at Munnar Markets.
5. What are the some of the best places for trekking in Kerala?
Some of the best places for trekking in Kerala are:
- Top Station
- Kolukkumalai Peak Trek
- Meesapulimala Trek
- Silent Valley National Park
- Chembra Peak Trek
- Agasthyarkoodam Peak
6. What is the distance of Munnar from Kochi?
The distance between Kochi and Munnar is 133 km.
7. What are the best places to visit in Kerala?
- Kochi – A modern city with deep cultural roots
- Munnar – Honeymoon in the midst of beautiful tea estates
- Thekkady – Wildlife and wild fun in the Periyar National Park
- Wayanad – Rest and relaxation in the Western Ghats
- Thiruvananthapuram – History, culture, modernity
- Poovar – An estuary and a beautiful beach
8. How many days are enough for a trip to Munnar?
There are many things to do in Munnar. You should plan your trip for atleast 3 days to have a good vacation in Munnar.
9. What are some souvenirs to get back home from Munnar?
Some souvenirs to get from Munnar are:
- Tea And Coffee
- Local Chocolates
- Aromatic Oils